By Tammera M. Race, Stephann Makri
Accidental details Discovery: Cultivating Serendipity within the electronic Age offers readers with an attractive dialogue at the methods serendipity―defined because the unintentional discovery of valued information―plays a big function in inventive problem-solving.
This insightful source brings jointly discussions on serendipity and data discovery, examine in machine and data technological know-how, and engaging ideas at the artistic technique. 5 thorough chapters discover the importance of serendipity in creativity and innovation, the features of serendipity-friendly instruments and minds, and the way destiny discovery environments might inspire serendipity.
- Examines serendipity in a multidisciplinary context
- Bridges concept and practice
- Explores electronic info landscapes of the long run with essays from present researchers
- Brings the idea that of unintended discovery and its worth entrance and center
Read or Download Accidental Information Discovery. Cultivating Serendipity in the Digital Age PDF
Similar storage & retrieval books
In lifestyles, time is funds, and on the web, the dimensions of knowledge is cash. Small courses and small records take much less disk house and value much less to ship over the web. Compression Algorithms for actual Programmers describes the fundamental algorithms and ways for compressing details so that you can create the smallest records attainable.
This publication provides the chosen result of the first foreign Symposium on utilized pcs and data expertise (ACIT 2013) hung on August 31 – September four, 2013 in Matsue urban, Japan, which introduced jointly researchers, scientists, engineers, practitioners and scholars to debate all features of utilized pcs & details know-how and its useful demanding situations.
The fifth overseas Asia convention on commercial Engineering and administration Innovation is subsidized through the chinese language commercial Engineering establishment and arranged through Xi’an Jiaotong college. The convention goals to percentage and disseminate details at the latest and appropriate researches, theories and practices in business and method engineering to advertise their improvement and alertness in college and agencies.
Research powerful and scalable database layout concepts in a SQL Server 2016 and better setting. This e-book is revised to hide in-memory on-line transaction processing, temporal facts garage, row-level protection, longevity improvements, and different design-related good points which are new or replaced in SQL Server 2016.
- Instance Selection and Construction for Data Mining
- How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
- Relevance Ranking for Vertical Search Engines
- Big Data 2.0 Processing Systems: A Survey
- Encyclopedia of Information Technology Curriculum Integration
- Annotation for the semantic web
Additional info for Accidental Information Discovery. Cultivating Serendipity in the Digital Age
While access to a vast amount of information can increase opportunities for accidental discovery, it can also be overwhelming—information-seekers can feel as though they are drowning in a sea of information. Personalized filtering can help reduce the information burden, but it can also reduce the opportunity for serendipity, by the very act of reducing the overall volume of available information. It can also reduce opportunities for serendipity by creating “filter bubbles” (Pariser, 2012) of information—delivering users with Making Room for Serendipity 21 information similar to their existing interests and therefore making it difficult for them to broaden their knowledge horizons.
Nutefall. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved. 27 28 Accidental Information Discovery In this chapter, we provide hands-on advice to help faculty and librarians design courses, research assignments, and lessons that guide students to serendipitous research encounters. The goal is not to engineer serendipity, because to do so would “likely reduce the amount of chance and insight involved in the serendipitous discovery simply by helping to encourage it” (Makri, Toms, McCay-Peet, & Blandford, 2011, p.
213) 32 Accidental Information Discovery Carter analyzed outcome-based assessment measures developed by faculty in undergraduate programs across his university to understand the “ways-of-doing” in those disciplines and the corresponding writing genres in which those “ways-of-doing” manifest. He found some patterns across the university: some academic situations call for responses using empirical inquiry; others ask for problem-solving, others research from sources, and still others, performance (p.