By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
From the award-winning writer of Half of a Yellow Sun, a stunning new novel: a narrative of affection and race founded round a tender guy and girl from Nigeria who face tricky offerings and demanding situations within the nations they arrive to name home.
As young children in a Lagos secondary tuition, Ifemelu and Obinze fall in love. Their Nigeria is below army dictatorship, and folks are leaving the rustic in the event that they can. Ifemelu—beautiful, self-assured—departs for the United States to review. She suffers defeats and triumphs, unearths and loses relationships and friendships, the entire whereas feeling the load of anything she by no means considered again domestic: race. Obinze—the quiet, considerate son of a professor—had was hoping to hitch her, yet post-9/11 the USA won't allow him in, and he plunges right into a risky, undocumented lifestyles in London.
Years later, Obinze is a prosperous guy in a newly democratic Nigeria, whereas Ifemelu has completed good fortune as a author of an eye-opening web publication approximately race in the US. but if Ifemelu returns to Nigeria, and he or she and Obinze reignite their shared passion—for their place of birth and for every other—they will face the hardest judgements in their lives.
Fearless, gripping, right away darkly humorous and smooth, spanning 3 continents and diverse lives, Americanah is a richly advised tale set in today’s globalized global: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s strongest and miraculous novel yet.
Read Online or Download Americanah PDF
Best united states of america books
Each one e-book encompasses a $15 reward card from DonorsChoose. org to provide to a school room in desire. the yank public college procedure is in concern, failing thousands of scholars, generating as many drop-outs as graduates, and dangerous our fiscal destiny. through 2020, the USA may have 123 million high-skill jobs to fill—and fewer than 50 million americans certified to fill them.
* Full-color throughout.
* thoroughly up-to-date each year, Frommer's Washington, D. C. presents up to date insurance of D. C. purchasing and nightlife; actual local maps; recommendation on making plans a profitable kin holiday; and part journeys to Alexandria, VA and Mount Vernon.
* Our writer, an established resident of Washington, D. C. , grants insider suggestion on how you can see the entire highlights, from the nationwide Mall to ancient Georgetown.
* elevated assurance of D. C. neighborhoods, with new itineraries and targeted strolling excursions that can assist you utilize some time within the nation's capital.
* Opinionated write-ups. No bland descriptions and lukewarm suggestions. Our specialist writers are obsessed with their destinations--they inform it love it is in a fascinating and worthwhile way.
* distinctive costs indexed for each institution and activity--no different courses supply such specific, candid studies of inns and eating places. We comprise some of the best, but additionally emphasize reasonably priced offerings for actual people.
* All entire courses provide ordinary positive aspects together with famous person rankings and exact icons to indicate readers to nice reveals, first-class values, insider information, most sensible bets for children, detailed moments, and puffed up experiences.
In her small upstate big apple city, Molly Howe is popular for her attractiveness, poise, and personality, until eventually at some point a key's uncovered and she or he is cruelly ostracized. She escapes to Berkeley, the place she unearths solace in a tender artwork scholar named John Wheelwright. They embark on an severe, all-consuming affair, until eventually the day Molly disappears-again.
Los Angeles occasions booklet Prize Finalist (Mystery/Thriller)
Edgar Award Nominee (Best First Novel)
The Orange Prize for Fiction (Shortlist)
“A near-perfect stability of trenchant social observation, wealthy characterizations, and action-oriented plot. .. . Attica Locke [is] a author clever past her years. ”
— la Times
“Atmospheric… deeply nuanced. .. similar to George Pelecanos or Dennis Lehane. .. . sophisticated and compelling. ”
— big apple instances
Writing within the culture of Dennis Lehane and Scott Turow, Attica Locke, a robust new voice in American fiction, offers an excellent thriller—and the Booklist “Best Debut Crime Novel of 2009”—that readers won't quickly forget.
Jay Porter is not often the legal professional he got down to be. His such a lot promising consumer is a low-rent name woman and he runs his fledgling legislations perform out of a dingy strip mall. yet he's lengthy in view that made peace with now not residing the yankee Dream and punctiliously tucked away his darkest sins: the weapons, the FBI dossier, the trial that just about destroyed him.
Houston, Texas, 1981. it truly is the following that Jay believes he could make a clean commence. that's, until eventually the evening in a ship out at the bayou while he hastily saves a girl from drowning—and opens a Pandora's field. Her secrets and techniques positioned Jay at risk, ensnaring him in a homicide research which can fee him his perform, his kinfolk, or even his lifestyles. yet prior to he can unravel a tangled secret that reaches into the higher echelons of Houston's company strength agents, Jay needs to confront the demons of his past.
With pacing that captures the reader from the 1st scene via an exciting climax, Black Water emerging marks the arriving of an electrifying new expertise.
- Jewish Art in America: An Introduction
- A Struggle for Power: The American Revolution
- Emporium Department Store (Images of America)
- Courage to Dissent: Atlanta and the Long History of the Civil Rights Movement
- Origins of the New South 1877-1913 (A History of the South, Book 9)
- Being Nixon: A Man Divided
Additional resources for Americanah
The Visitor Center is also the place to obtain timed-entry tickets for Independence Hall. These are available on a firstcome-first-served basis. The Independence Visitor Center in “America’s most historic square mile” Plain brick façade of the 18th-century Free Quaker Meeting House Free Quaker Meeting House 5 Arch & 5th Sts. Map 4 D2. £ Market East Station. 5th St. @ Philly Phlash. # 1–5pm Wed– Sun. & 7 This simple Georgian brick building was built in 1783 for Quakers who were compelled to bear arms in the American Revolution.
Philly Phlash. # 10am–5pm daily. u 7:15am daily; Fri evening; 9am Sat. org Philadelphia’s oldest Jewish congregation, Mikveh Israel, dates to before the 1740s. The congregation built its first synagogue in 1782, and moved into its current building in 1976. Mikveh Israel’s archival collection includes two pairs of Torah finials crafted by silversmith Myer Myers in 1772 and letters written by US Presidents George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. Past congregation members included colonial patriot and financier Haym Salomon; Nathan Levy, whose ship brought the Liberty Bell to America; and Rebecca Gratz, who founded educational and social institutions.
The region’s largest outdoor arts and craft festival. Annual Student Exhibition (May/Jun), Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. This century-old tradition displays the works of award-winning students. Fourth of July fireworks over the Philadelphia Museum of Art JULY Wawa Welcome America! (week leading up to Jul 4). A week-long celebration with a concert and free events. Fourth of July Parade (Jul 4), Center City. Parade followed by fireworks. Let Freedom Ring (Jul 4), Liberty Bell Center. Descendants of those who signed the Declaration of Independence tap the Normandy Bell, an exact cast of the Liberty Bell.